Re: Raw Disk Partition vs. Unix File System (Oracle 6)

From: Michael R Riggs <mriggs_at_lazerus.pencom.com>
Date: 19 Aug 93 01:39:29 GMT

When you tune a system you should have performance measures and criteria in hand and tune your system to accordingly. Tuning by blindly modifying system configuration introduces risk of degrading overall system throughput. A more cost effective approach is to identify system bottlenecks and tune those.

Before you go off and decide to do the Raw Disk thing, first identify that file I/O is a throughput limitation. The sqldba monitor facility and system level perf monitors are quite good at identifying problems like this.

Mike

--

~~
Michael R. Riggs                      mriggs_at_pencom.com (Internet)