Re: extents exxceeded ?? ( need help )

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1993 04:15:46 CDT

In article 10837_at_njitgw.njit.edu, yxc1612_at_hertz.njit.edu (yung-feng chang me stnt) writes:
-->Dear netters:
-->
--> One user get following message while he is running a query.
-->
-->ORA-01556 maximum number of 99 extents exceeded.
-->
--> I check the free space for the tablespace first; It still have
-->1.2G available!!
-->
--> Then, I try to allocate more extents for tables and tablespaces that
-->he used. I increase max extents for the tablespace from 99 to 150, then
-->I run his query again. I find the error message become:
-->
-->ORA-01556 maximum number of 121 extents exceeded.
-->
--> No matter what max extent or extent size I increase, it seem that
-->121 is "ceil"??
-->
--> I find lots fragnments on that tablespace. Is this cause problem?
-->If so, how to remove those fragnments. If not, what cause this problem?
-->
-->Thanks, in advance.
-->
-->Sincerely
--> D. L.
You will have to recreate the tablespace with more sensible extent sizes.(but see note at bottom of message) I take it you're running unix becuase of the '121 extents' message. You may only have a maximum of 121 extents in Unix. Therefore you should set the initial ,next extents in the tablespace create stament to something aproxximating to tablespace_size/121. e.g for a TS of 121Mb
create tablespace FRD
datafile .........
defualt storage (initial 1M

                 next 1M
                 minextents 1
                 maxextents 121
                 pctincrease 0)

NOTE : But you also did not specify what the tablespace name is that you're having problems with . It could be the fact that your user is still using SYSTEM instead of a 'user work area' tablespace.You could have been be more specific but the above should get on the road to fixing your problem.

Good Luck %^)

---
David Crowson          |
DBA (ORACLE V.4,5,6,7) | "Rude alert! Rude alert! An electrical fire
Amoco Exploration      | has knocked out my voice-recognition unicycle! Many
Ealing, London         | Wurlitzers are missing from my database! Abandon shop!
dcrowson_at_amoco.com     | This is not a daffodil! Repeat: This is not a daffodil!"
"My views not Amoex's" | - Holly (Ship's computer on Red Dwarf)