Re: Visual Basic 3.0/ODBC/Oracle Server 1.1.x, Possible?

From: <D1CAMERO_at_bcsc02.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 93 08:21:15 PDT

In article <1993Jul12.181802.12944_at_tigger.jvnc.net> johnson_at_tigger.jvnc.net (Steven L. Johnson) writes:

>I've been asked if I would be available to trouble shoot a system.
>The general situation is as follows. A very recent version (1.1.x?)
>of OracleServer is loaded on a dedicated Novell Netware file server
>(version 3.11). It is reachable via MSDOS tools and Windows (via
>DDE), so the server appears relatively ok. They have just received
>an upgrade to MicroSoft Visual Basic version 3.0, which contains
>direct ODBC support for Oracle (or so they say). They can't get
>it to see the server.
>
>Before I jump in to something I know little about (VB/ODBC), I
>was hoping to find someone to confirm that it actually does work
>and to let me know if there are any version restrictions or other
 saveious/non-obvious problems. It's probably something simple.

Steve:
 We are testing VB 3.0 ODBC against Oracle. We are using:

     SQL*Net
     FTP TCP/IP for windows
     Banyan LAN
     Oracle on a Unix

 The connection is successful, but not without some pains. My first  reaction is that VB 3.0 ODBC requires SQL*Net. From there, several  changes need to your windows setup. The documentation is in the VB  setup disks.

Don Cameron
Data Management Branch, BC Ministry of Health 2nd Floor Rotherham, Victoria, B.C., V8W 3C8 (604)356-1425 D1CAMERO_at_bcsc02.gov.bc.ca Received on Wed Jul 14 1993 - 17:21:15 CEST

Original text of this message