Re: HELP: Importing ASCII-text into Oracle7

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 7 Jul 1993 16:40:16 GMT

tormodh_at_benoni.nbr.no (Tormod Holte) writes:

>We need to import raw ASCII text-data (which we're able to format
>in various ways) into the Oracle7. Does anybody have knowledge of
>how to proceed ? Are there SQL (or PL-SQL) -commands
>solving this problem, or other ways ?

The basic tool for importing data in Oracle is SQL*Loader, but it is somewhat limited in its ability to manipulate text. You may wish to write some short programs to prepare the text for SQL*Loader. (In awk, for example.)

Depending on what hardware you're running on, you might also want to check into the availability of 'oraperl', an extension to the Unix language Perl that adds Oracle SQL call capability. (Perl is a very powerful interpretive language, written by Larry Wall and made available under the GNU license.) You will need a C compiler and the Oracle Pro*C option.

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)