SQL*ReportWriter and Souce Code Control

From: Daniel Looby <iasysdl_at_prism.gatech.EDU>
Date: 6 Jul 93 18:08:38 GMT

To note, we are using: SunOS Release 4.1.1_DBE

                       ORACLE RDBMS V6.0.36.2
                       SQL*ReportWriter 1.1.14.7.2

We have a project that has four teams, each team consisting of three to five people. We are using Oracle's RDBMS and tools. We also want to set up some form of Source Code Control.

One of the options we have been looking at is rcs. It works very well, until we get to the .rex files produced from SQL*ReportWriter reports by dumprep. If we embed keywords (i.e.: $Author$, $Date$, $State$, etc.) then when we try to load the report with loadrep we get the following:

  SRW-1086 Abnormal Condition: Internal error while reading from loadfile.

rcs expands the keyword so that the number at the start of the .rex file line does not match the number of significant characters on the line.

I am interested in hearing what other people might be using for source code control. I'd also like to hear from other rcs/Oracle SQL*ReportWriter users and how they may have solved this problem.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Dan

--
Daniel Looby                    Members of the Bathroom Reader's Institute sit
631 Cherry Street NW              firmly for what they believe in!