Re: Oracle password encryption algorithm?SKIP

From: Paul Mickel <mickel_at_OES.ORST.EDU>
Date: 6 Jul 1993 02:57:16 GMT

In article <1993Jul1.134033.1_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au> pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au writes:
>In article <1993Jun30.154324.1_at_cissys>, trahan_at_cissys.read.tasc.com (Dave Trahan) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone know what algorithm Oracle uses to encrypt user passwords?
>
>Hopefully, only Oracle and it's well guarded. If everyone knew the algorithm
>then there would be no point in having a password because the encrypted value
>is stored (visible) in the database and you could run a program to crack
>anyone's account.

However, it makes no sense to encrypt the passwd if you can see it from the process table on the box running the application. I discovered this just the other day when I was killing some processes that were running sqlforms30. Doing a 'ps -fu extract' I found the following:

      78977 78971 0:20 p2 sqlforms30 -c extract:vt220 extract/<mypasswd>

(process numbers were different and the columns of table may be off a little, but did contain all this information.)

While I didn't test this with other Oracle products that we had, the fact this occurred at all makes me wonder how extensive this problem is. By implication, I could gain the DBA's passwd while they are on and have LOTS of fun.....

This is under Oracle version 6.0.36

[some deleted]

>> I'm trying to write a tool to find users who have set their Oracle password
>> to be the same as their Oracle username. I'm familiar with the method used
>> in such system tools as COPS, and I'm trying to apply the same technique
>> to Oracle, but without the encryption algorithm, I'm kinda stuck. I heard
>> it was based on the Unix 'crypt' algorithm, but with a minor change.
>>

>> Any thoughts?
>
>Yes. Write a tool that tries to logon with a password equal to the username
>for EACH Oracle account you have. If it succeeds in logging in then you can
>tell them to get their act together otherwise you can assume it's
>reasonably safe. You could keep a checklist of passwords to try : like
>first name, last name, middle name, Oracle Userid, Operating System
>Userid, etc etc etc.

Yeah, if you are concerned at all about security of your database, DON'T do this. This makes your database system just as unsecure as the Unix box if you were to allow the same thing on it........

-Paul

--
Paul M. Mickel			  	   Internet:mickel_at_oes.orst.edu
Database Programmer, Teledyne Wah Chang    Albany, OR   97321