Problem with connecting SQL*Net client to server

From: J. Scott Farrow <farrow_at_spot.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1993 02:46:10 GMT

I'm having some problems trying to get a PC SQL*Net client to connect to my server (Oracle 7 with SQL*Net installed) on a SCO machine.

Right now, the server is running SQL*Net V2 and the client is running SQL*Net V1.12 (along with PCTCP). When I try to log into the database from the client:

sqlplus <username>/<password>_at_T:<database_name>:<database_sid>

I get Oracle error 6105, which says to turn on trace and try again. Unfortunately, turning on the trace mechanism doesn't seem to yield any further information.

The Oracle listener on my server is logging errors which say "connection timed out". I tried increasing the default timeout in the listener.ora config file, but it doesn't help.

Any ideas? My only theory is that there is some incompatibility between V2 and V1 of SQL*Net. The manual makes some mention of defining "connect string aliases", but it never defines what they should be, and assumes that you already have the V1 connect strings lying around somewhere, which I don't. When I look in the manuals, the format of both V1 and V2 connect strings appears to be the same.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

J. Scott Farrow	- OS Programmer/Analyst          farrow_at_spot.colorado.edu
Martin Marietta Technical Services/DOE-Western Area Power Administration
Golden, Colorado, USA                        "Linux Users Do It For Free"