Re: How to keep a 'shadow' database

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_exlog.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 18:48:47 GMT

In article <1993Jun24.045059.26159_at_newsgate.sps.mot.com> ttg242_at_newton.sps.mot.com writes:
>>I will be participating in a project that needs a database being
>>replicated on a second disk, preferably updated with every update
>>on the normal disk. We are using Oracle 7, Vax VMS, and Pro*Ada.
 [...]
>Anyway, depending on your requirements you could use either SNAPSHOTS or
>create your own triggers to do the job. Both described in the manual.

Given the requirement that the entire DB needs to be replicated I would say your looking a hardware solution here.

Snapshots where designed for limited data copys and aren't realtime. Triggers would work if you have a limited number of forms but if not you have to find every location where your db could be updated and put in a hook to hit the 2nd db.

If you REALLY don't need the ENTIRE database replicated on EVERY update. Then you should be ok. Other wise I would start pricing a Disk shadowing subsystem.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons                  		Baker-Huges Inteq, Inc
Oracle Database Administrator 			lparsons_at_exlog.com