Re: Version 6 compatability mode?

From: Tim Smith <tssmith_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 12:11:32 GMT

In article <1993Jun23.093513.15578_at_decuk.uvo.dec.com> finnis_at_sharif.wlo.dec.com writes:
> I have recently heard that you can run Oracle version 7
> in version 6 compatability mode.
> Does anyone have any experiences or comments on this ?
> The primary platform is VAX VMS but it's more of the
> Oracle data representation that I am interested in.

Most Oracle tools for ORACLE7 have a compatibility mode switch. For example, with SQL*Plus it is SET COMPATIBILITY {V6 | V7}. For the precompilers, you can use the DBMS= command line argument. For the OCIs, it depends on how you parse the SQL statement: OSQL3 or OPARSE with LNGFLG set to V6 gives V6 behavior.

The README file that comes with 7.0.13 or later summarizes the effects of the compatibility mode switch. It mostly changes how CHARs are treated, but there are other effects also.

--Tim (tssmith_at_oracle.com) Received on Wed Jun 23 1993 - 14:11:32 CEST

Original text of this message