Unique key management

From: Robert Nicholson <robertn_at_penny.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1993 11:42:50 +0000

Unique Key Management using the DBKit.

I have to write a multiuser database using the DBKit. My question relates to record locking and how this can be used when managing unique keys.

Currently, I choose to use "application-generated unique id's" for my primary keys.

In order to allow database access when calculating the "next-unique id" I require a solution that doesn't require exclusively locking the entire primary table.

DBKit doesn't support exclusive locking in the way I understand it.

My aim is to have a KEY's table with the following fields.

ENTITY
HIGHEST KEY and access this table when a unique key needs to be generated. It is important that I be able to maintain an exclusive lock on this table in order to avoid dirty reads.

(I haven't yet thought about wether I intend to reuse keys or wether we intend to flag delete)

These are the issues i'm concerned with and is really stuff I have no experience with in my past Database work. Received on Mon Jun 21 1993 - 13:42:50 CEST

Original text of this message