Re: system privileged functions

From: Jason Crow <crow_at_seyton.sbil.co.uk>
Date: 17 Jun 93 08:17:42 GMT

In article 17098_at_statoil.no, oracle_at_ddb.be.statoil.no (Oracle ) writes:
>Hi.
>Why does sqldba responds 'ORA-01031: insufficient privileges'
>when the root user is trying to do sqldba shutdown or connect internal,
>even if the root is a proper member of group dba?
> (/etc/group:
> dba:*:101:root,oracle,dba1,dba2)
>It works fine for the users oracle, dba1 and dba2.
>It also works fine for additional users added to the group dba.
>
>(By the way, I'm running Oracle 6.0.36.5.1 on a Sun SPARC 10)
>
>Torstein

I had the same problem running 6.0.36 on a Sparc10. It seems that unless your default group is dba, you need to run "newgrp dba" before running sqldba etc..

Alternativly from root, you can "su - oracle -c dbshut"

        Jason

Jason Crow                Salomon Brothers International Limited
Business Technology Organisation                             Tel: 071-721-2580