Re: PL/SQL vs Pro*C

From: Dave Mausner <dlm_at_dlogics.dlogics.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1993 19:17:39

jpatel_at_micrognosis.co.uk (Jabir Patel) writes:

> 1)Are large development projects utilising PL/SQL with SQL*Forms or are they
> using Pro*C with SQL*Forms ?

PL/SQL is used for performing procedural functions within the oracle kernel; it is not a replacement for Pro*C. However, forms authors usually find it more convenient to use PL/SQL in the forms designer context. Note that you cannot currently communicate with the world outside the database when using PL/SQL.

> 2)Is there a trend to move away from using Pro*C with SQL*Forms and instead
> using PL/SQL ?

Not exactly, for the last reason mentioned above. User exits using Pro*C will be around for a while because complex problems sometimes call for operating system functions that PL/SQL cannot access.

> 3)Are Oracle developers likely to move away from using Pro*C and rely much
> more on PL/SQL with Oracle 7 ?

They cannot do their job entirely in PL/SQL for all of the above reasons, plus considerations of efficiency: PL/SQL is not executed in the native machine-code -- it is reduced to P-code which is then emulated.

--
Dave Mausner / Sr Consultant / Datalogics division of Frame Technology Inc
441 W Huron / Chicago IL 60610 / +1-312-266-4450 / "Just show me the code"