Ideal mid-range server for Oracle?

From: James Hogan <jimh_at_carson.u.washington.edu>
Date: 12 Jun 93 06:08:23 GMT

Sorry to devolve into trivial hardware details, but am interested in obtaining your thoughts on good platforms for Oracle. We have a development server (Compaq Systempro) running Oracle under Netware. However, our estimates suggest that we'll soon outgrow the maximum capacity of its IDA disk subsystem, and we're dubious of its performance if we were to add other (SCSI, say) disk arrays.

Funding circumstances are allowing us to consider acquisition of a new server for Oracle. Some of our basic thoughts/parameters include:

  1. would like to start with a 4-5 GB disk capacity, but with ability to expand to 30-50 GB. Some of the main data tables will reach 2-3 million records (x 2000 bytes) over the next 5 years.
  2. would expect to expand our Oracle license to 64-100 users.
  3. would favor something tried-and-true (if that exists) both in hardware and in the server OS. Some sort of Unix leads in our deliberations, OS-wise. We'd need to purchase/install the server later this summer, so need a machine that's already "in the channels" and is readily deliverable.
  4. price range could be in the realm of 40 to 80 thousand dollars. We don't have a good sense yet of the degree to which vendors discount their stated retail prices on this type of merchandise.
  5. support for RAID subsystems could be a factor, though we've not looked at this issue thoroughly.

We'd welcome anything you could contribute on this. Recommendations toward a platform you use, pointers toward published comparisons, totally unsubstantiated rumors and insinuendo... You name it.

  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------ * Jim Hogan, Systems Analyst / Didliologist* Seattle-King County Department of Public Health

  *Didliology (did-le-ol-o-ge) n., 1. The avocation of corrupt    epidemiologists; 2. The action of small children who, standing    around a large turtle, poke it with a stick.