Re: Table substitution with PRO*C Dynamic SQL

From: Dave Mausner <dlm_at_dlogics.dlogics.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1993 10:47:25

In article <1v2fm0$ivu_at_skates.gsfc.nasa.gov> joefw_at_eosdev1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Joe Fulson-Woytek) writes:

> "the names of database objects such as tables and columns need not be specified
> until runtime"
>
> This is located in the section on Using Method 3. Am I misinterpreting what
> it says (that with Method 3 you don't have to name the table until runtime),
> or, as it seems more likely now, is this a documentation mistake and it should
> just say "such as columns"?

No, the manual is correct. By "at runtime" they mean that you can determine what table to reference at runtime, but you are still required to present a syntactically valid SQL statement, whatever your choice of table. The syntax does not currently allow bind variables in place of table or column names. but as the net has shown, this is not a problem when using dynamic SQL and Pro*C.

--
Dave Mausner / Sr Consultant / Datalogics division of Frame Technology Inc
441 W Huron / Chicago IL 60610 / +1-312-266-4450 / "Just show me the code"