ORACLE & SOLID STATE DISK

From: Jared Hecker <jared.hecker_at_factory.com>
Date: 1 Jun 93 09:52:00 GMT

MS>I am looking for configurations that have incorporated solid state disk and the kinds of
MS>performance increases seen.

I never did this in production (I left the engagement before it was put in), however using a solid-state disk in a VMS environment (a 9000) in a disk-intensive application yielded a several thousand-fold percent improvement in response time for disk-intensive queries. But it's a pretty d--ned expensive solution.

I would suggest first tuning the heck out of the kernel (memory's cheaper than solid-state disk) using BSTAT/ESTAT as well as using EXPLAIN PLAN to optimize your queries and TRACE/TKPROF to pinpoint your bottlenecks. If you are truly bottlenecked in disk I/O, the solid-state disk will help.

I must say, as a DBA I was never quite comfortable with relying on batteries to preserve my database... :)

hth -

jh

---
. MR/2 1.39x NR . OS/2'ing it big-time - So long, Solaris!