Global Data Dictionaries

From: Fogbound Child <sgoldste_at_aludra.usc.edu>
Date: 25 May 1993 09:06:05 -0700

Salutations!

I'm currently doing some research on Global Data Dictionaries, and was wondering if anyone out there in net.land would be able to add to what I've been able to find (my bibliography is included below, in case that is of interest).

My (perhaps incorrect) definition of a Global Data Dictionary is for use on a heterogeneous, distributed system, not a mainframe. This is not necessarily reflected in the bibliography below, however.

I'd be particularly interested in getting in touch with anyone who has some experience in *implementing* one of these beasts. It looks like that task is going to be placed upon me, and I'd really appreciate some guidance
(or pointers to some good info source).

Thanks!

___Samuel___

(Bibliography follows: note that while many of the titles don't directly refer
 to global data dictionaries, but the text of the abstracts do.)

Wells, David L; Blakely, Jose A; Thompson, Craig W.
(Architecture of an open object-oriented database management system)
Computer, Oct 1992, v25, n10, p74(9)

Drake, Janet M; Xie, Weiwen; Tasi, W.T.
(Document driven analysis: description and formalization)
Journal of object-oriented programming, 1 Nov 1992, v5, n7, p33

Dolk, Daniel.
(Model management and structured modeling: the role of an information resource
 dictionary system)
Communications of the ACM, June 1988, v31, n6.

NIST Special Publication 500-187
(Application portability profile (APP))
OSE/1 Version 1, Computer Systems Laboratory, NIST, Apr 1991.

Narayan, Rom;
(Data dictionary: implementation, use, and maintenance)
Prentice Hall, 1988, ISBN/ISSN -

Hsu, Cheng;
(Information resources management in heterogeneous, distributed environments:
 a metadata approach)
IEEE Transactions on software engineering, June 1991, v17, n6.

Gey, Frederic;
(A data encyclopedia architecture within an extended IRDS framework)
Proceedings of the federal information processing standards workshop on IRDS   applications, Dec 1988.

Brathwaite, Ken S;
(Analysis, design, and implementation of data dictionaries)
McGraw Hill, 1988, ISBN/ISSN 0070072485

Wertz, Charles J.
(The data dictionary: concepts and uses)
QED Information Sciences, 1989, ISBN/ISSN -

Lefkovits, Henry C;
(Data dictionary systems)

QED Information Sciences, 1977, ISBN/ISSN -

Lomax, Jeffery D;
(Data dictionary systems)

NCC Publications, 1977, ISBN/ISSN -

Vinden, Robin J;
(Data dictionaries for database administrators)
TAB Professional and Reference Books, 1990, ISBN/ISSN -

--
_________Pratice Safe .Signature! Prevent Dangerous Signature Virii!_______
Guildenstern: Our names shouted in a certain dawn ... a message ... a