WRITING SQL CODE

From: <khale_at_afit.af.mil>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 08:30:43 GMT

    Hey SQL gurus,

         I am trying to revise some sql files inorder to make them
    user friendly. Right now, when a user selects an option from     the menu, it automatically goes out and performs what it is     supposed to do. However, as one can see, if the user has made     a mistake in their choice, they cannot escape out. The user     must wait until the program is finished. I want to insert code     that comes up on the screen and asks whether the user wants to     proceed with the menu choice. As of now, I have the following     code in the sql file:

    PROMPT DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?
    PROMPT IF NOT, PRESS EXIT.
    PAUSE OTHERWISE, PRESS RETURN TO CONTINUE.          This code appears on the screen as I wanted it to, but I     can't find a sequence of keys (I am using VMS) which allows the     user to escape cleanly. Control Y goes through a big screen dump     thingy then back to the menu, but I prefer something 'cleaner'.     The code I would like to use is this:

    PROMPT DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?
    PROMPT ENTER YES(Y) OR NO(N).     where Y obviously continues and N lets the user get out. Can I     declare these as variables? If so, HOW? I am very unfamiliar     with writing in SQL. HELP......

                                   Kathleen G. Hale