Re: Oracle CDE Forms 4.0 problems?

From: Gary Eckhardt <eckhardg_at_brooks.af.mil>
Date: 6 May 1993 21:01:37 GMT

In article 80d_at_bsdns.brooks.af.mil, eckhardg_at_brooks.af.mil (Gary Eckhardt) writes:
> Has anyone who attended '93 CODA in San Fransisco last week tried to install and
> use the CDE software that was given out? We installed everything that was on the
> CD-ROM, and we can get Graphics and Report to connect to the database. However when > we try to run SQL*Forms 4.0 Designer, we get an "ORA-03112, host string syntax
> error." message when we try to connect to a database. We've tried just about every
> combination of host string that we can think of, even making a default database in
> the oracle.ini file for SQL*Net. Anyone else have this problem? Have you figured
> out how to get it to work? Thanks!

Proof positive that SOMEONE at Oracle actually reads this newsgroup. I got a call from someone at Oracle yesterday offering his help with this problem. In short, the problem is being caused by running out of memory on the PC. With SQLPME, SQLTCP, PC-NFS tsr's and Telnet Manager loaded there just doesn't seem to be enough memory to go around. The solution was to get SQL*Net for Windows which I understand has gone into production. Our order is in! Thanks to whomever (didn't get to write down his name..) at Oracle for being nice enough to keep me from pulling my hair out, whatever there is left of it.

---

Gary B. Eckhardt                |  Software Development  |  This space for
Computer Sciences Corporation   |  MISTS HSC Support     |  rent or lease.
eckhardg_at_radon.brooks.af.mil    |  (210) 536-2826        |  (Cheap!)

   "If the world was a logical place, all cowboys would ride side-saddle."
                         --Ranger Doug, "The Riders In The Sky"