init.ora parameter

From: abid hussain <axh_at_philabs.philips.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1993 19:03:07 GMT

Hi netters,

Yesterday while glancing through Oracle Rdbms release 6.0.36 notes for Sun-4 Sparc System I came across a parameter called spin_count in the Tuning section. The notes say that this parameter sets the number of times an Oracle process attempts to get a latch before sleeping. You can adjust the value of spin_count to increase performance on a multi processor machine. The default value is 0 (that is, no spinning ), which should be the setting for a single-processor machine. But for a multi-processor machine a reasonable value is 2000. Now I looked in the Database Administrator's Guide for any mention of spin_count parameter, but see nothing.

Will some kind soul out there shed more light regarding this parameter.

Thanks in advance.

Abid

--

       Abid Hussain                         axh_at_philabs.philips.com
       Philips Laboratories                       - or -