Re: Oracle for DOS in OS/2 DOS boxes = FAILURE!

From: Shiraz Kanga <skanga_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 27 Apr 93 00:06:22 GMT

In article <1rhgie$eal_at_news.ysu.edu> ak730_at_yfn.ysu.edu (Brian C. Shensky) writes:

>I desperately want to get rid of my DOS partition and run total OS/2 2.1
>on my machine at home, but one app, ORACLE, won't let me. I had hoped
>to run Oracle for DOS in an OS/2 DOS box, but everytime I start
>the Single-task database engine (ORACLE6.EXE), I get the OS/2 handler:
>
>"VKBD does not support A20 keyboard access" (or something like that)
>
>Has anybody else tried this? Have you gotten it to work?
>Are there replacement friver files available from either IBM or Oracle
>that would allow me to run Oracle DOS in a DOS box?
>
>Any respone will be graciously accepted!
>
>-Brian

You cannot run a DOS database in an OS/2 VDM since the Oracle Protected Mode Executive (SQL*Pme) requires VCPI compatible memory whereas the VDM provides DPMI compatibility. You can run real mode DOS apps in a VDM against a local OS/2 database or a remote database over almost any network using SQL*VDM.

If you are using Oracle apps then it really should'nt matter since almost all of them are available as native OS/2 apps. Also make sure you're running a 32-bit database under OS/2 2.0 since the 32-bit one is nearly 50 % faster than the 16-bit one. The 16-bit RDBMS may also have some other problems and isnt certified to run on OS/2 2.0

Hope this helps

shiraz

--
Shiraz Kanga (skanga_at_oracle.com) Tel: (415)506-5412 Fax: (415)506-7822
Analyst -- Desktop Tools Group -- Worldwide Technical Support -- 3OP11