Re: UNLOAD and input files

From: David Bath <dtb_at_otto.bf.rmit.oz.au>
Date: 19 Apr 93 03:29:58 GMT

dly_at_vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:

>I'm using ORACLE 7.0.12, on Sun/UNIX.

>A few weeks back, there was discussion of the program UNLOAD which is
>a PRO*C program which prompts the user for input and output details,
>then outputs a flat file of data.

>Here are my questions:

>2) How can I feed UNLOAD an input file rather than typing replies to
> the prompt? When I put the replies into a file say t.in and do
> % unload < t.in
> I get the following:
> Connected to ORACLE.
> ORA-01009: missing mandatory parameter

	You'll have to hack it.  Perhaps a discussion should be set up to
	develop a set of standard switches for this kind of thing and when
	we are generally agreed, someone writes it.

>3) <about 240 byte limit for statement>
If you don't want to hack the C code any more..... You could create a view with the stuff you want and select from that.

>So besides UNLOAD, if anyone knows of a simple way to make an ascii dump,
>fixed format flat file of a table with many dates, I'd really appreciate
>any insights.

	Hmmmmm, oraperl (I use perl 4.0.36, oraperl 2 patch 3) has a script
	for creating an INSERT script from a table.  This might help.

I think discussion of UNLOAD and extra functionality required would be useful for the group. In about a month or so I might get time to do some serious hacking of it. Who is interested in developing a spec ?

--
David T. Bath             | Email:dtb_at_otto.bf.rmit.oz.au (131.170.40.10)
Senior Tech Consultant    | Phone: +61 3 347-7511 TZ=AEST-10AEDST-11