Logically Linking database files

From: Bruce Ediger <bediger_at_teal.csn.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 15:53:01 GMT

Given a requirement for a *large* database, beyond the reaches of 32-bit file sizes, what mechanisms are available from the various vendors for logically linking different database files? In other words, assuming I'm required for one reason or another to split a large database into different files (And not just large databases; maybe just for administrative reasons), can I perform operations on that database as a whole, or do I have to treat each file as a separate database? I'm not using raw partitions; the database files are regular Unix files.

Also, would it be possible to construct some sort of a hierarchical database with DB package "X" that would allow different servers to access pieces (thos separate files referred to above), but also let them span the entire database?

Yours truly,
Bruce Ediger Received on Fri Apr 16 1993 - 17:53:01 CEST

Original text of this message