Best 4GL GUI Builder??

From: David Pape <pape_at_plato.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: 29 Mar 1993 12:21:38 GMT

Hi netters,

We're currently designing a simulation/optimization program that will get its data primarily from a (as of yet) unspecified vendors database (Oracle and Ingres are as of yet musts). project consists of developing a GUI for the user, so he/she can modify the data in the database. The target user will most likely have little/no knowledge of database concepts, so we need the GUI to make changing data easier. The GUI builder doesn't necessarily have to be 4GL, I could (have, at least for Oracle) write Embedded-SQL routines to do the database functions.

We'll be developing on a DEC 5000/200 under Ultrix 4.2a.

I have heard of the following GUI builders:

                                Database        Interface
                                Capabilities    Designer
Name        Public Domain?      built in?       built in?
__________  ______________      ____________    __________
Tcl/Tk          Yes               not yet         Yes (Xf)
Xtpanel         Yes                 ?              ?
Wcl             Yes                 ?              ?
DIRT            Yes                 ?              ?
SUIT            Yes                 ?              ?
Uniface         No                 Yes            Yes
JAM             No                 Yes (DBi)      Yes
XVT             No                 Yes (Xi)       Yes
XView            ?                  ?              ?
Galaxy          Yes                 ?              ?
Things          Yes                 ?              ?
Xwafe           Yes (perl-based) No, but for      Yes (xwafedesign)
                                 Oracle there's
                                 oraperl!

Are there any others that I've forgotten?

Has anyone had experience with any of the above? If there's enough interest, I'll post a summary.

--
David Pape                               | "The people who own the country    |
pape_at_plato.Chemietechnik.Uni-Dortmund.DE |  ought to govern it"               |