Oracle*CASE - code generation responses (NOT a summary)

From: <M22367_at_mwvm.mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1993 13:40:25 GMT

Here they are! I have trimmed many of them to the relevant subject matter. I apologize to anyone whose note got mangled :-/

Happy reading!

  • Mike
    From: solson_at_mgrm.com (Steve Olson)

We are using the CASE generators for SQL*Forms3.0, SQL*Menu5.0, and ReportWriter 1.1 with great success.
If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to respond.

Steve A. Olson

From: wethater_at_mailbox.syr.edu

        i have, you *don't* want to. trust me.

From: David Thornewill <R11202_at_WACCVM.corp.mot.com>

I (or rather we = Motorola) use Oracle*CASE, and have also generated code from it.

I however am more concerned with the upper CASE aspect of things and have little direct experience of the generator. If you have specific questions email me, perhaps I can find answers. Sorry I can do no better than this.

Regards,
David TvE -- usual disclaimers apply.

From: iasysdl_at_prism.gatech.edu (Daniel Looby)

I work at Georgia Tech where we are working on a large Oracle application. The application will integrate the formerly diverse Student Information System (Marketing & Recruiting, Admissions, Registration, Student Records, Housing, Student Accounts and more) into one database so that information can be shared more readily.

We use the Oracle CASE tools and generate our default forms from the tools. There always seems to be a second (human) pass at 'tweaking' the forms, but generally we are pleased with what we get. It helps if you have all the data in the dictionary before generating (major processing flaws result from some human not supplying the correct data).

I'll state that I am a Georgia Tech employee but that the development is a joint venture with Oracle Corp. and that we have about 15 Oracle employees here on site assisting with development. There are things not in the manuals that they know and have been a great assist on.

The staff of ISS (Information Systems And Services) number 41 including administation and support services. Of that approximately 21 are involved in application analysis, strategy, design, build, documentation, etc.

The number of Oracle staff on the project has varied and they will start final phasing out in about six months with the final group slated to leave in 1994 (when financials is complete I believe). Oracle staff averages about 35% of the total resource to the project.

Yes, it is a 'huge' and Oracle has made a big commitment to the project. Oracle will be marketing the package in North America, perhaps in Europe.

Daniel Looby            | Major Premise: Sixty men can do a piece
Systems Analyst II      | of work sixty times as quickly as one
dan.looby_at_oit.gatech.edu| man.
404-894-9587            | Minor Premise: One man can dig a posthole

===================================

From: andy_at_vistachrome.com (Andrew Finkenstadt)

We use the CASE tools extensively for diagraming and organization. I know of people who have pushed through to actually generate a form, his address is 'gene_at_aee.aee.com'.

--
Andrew Finkenstadt, Vista-Chrome, Inc., Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
GEnie Unix RoundTable Manager, andy_at_vistachrome.com, andy_at_genie.geis.com.

===================================
From: btreuman_at_ems.cdc.com (Bob Treumann) If you are talking about generating forms code, I have done lots of it.
===================================
From: gerrit_at_vtm.be Hi Mike, I guess I've overlooked your first posting but I did used the Case tool as part of a evaluation to create smalltalk code. I went to Oracle and sat down with a person from Oracle to do some things in the Case tool. First we've expanded the standard case-dictionary in such way that each table could be associated with a class name for smalltalk. And that each attribute in the table could be associated with an instance variable name of that class. Secondly we did create some tables using the case tool and specified for each table a class name and for each attribute an instance var name. Futhermore we specified for each foreign key also the instance var name which could then be used to retrieve information from the foreign object. The next step was to retrieve this information and put it in a appropriate form for code-generation. For this a sql script was written and generated information for each attribute/foreign key a single line in a text file : PERSONS;BIPerson;ADDRESS_ID;fAddress;NUMBER;BIAddress; PERSONS;BIPerson;BIRTHDAY;fBirthDay;DATE; 1st column is the table name 2nd column is the class name associoated with this table 3rd column is a column name of the table 4th column is the instance variable associated with this column 5th column is the data type of the column 6th column is the classname of the "foreign object" in case of a foreign key (each class inherited an instace variable fId containing the ID of the object/row) Then we ran an awk script (awk is a sort of programming language like C but you don't have to compile it and it is quite usefull for treating text-based data in a format like the one above) to generate the class definition and about 60 to 70% of the object code. Mainly to define the structure link for smalltalk to generate SQL statements and the methods to set and get the instance variables. And some methods which did conversion of date's to strings in a certain format that the user would like to see on his screen. Gerrit Cap {gerrit_at_vtm.be} Vlaamse Televisie Maatschappij N.V. Luchthavenlaan 22 B-1800 Vilvoorde Belgium