changing block size

From: Damian Yenzi <yenzi_at_melpar>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1993 14:52:11 GMT

I have a question concerning the oracle blocksize on different environments. We run oracle on PCs, SCO unix boxes, as well as on HP 9000 computers running unix.
The block sizes are 1024, 2048, 4096 bytes respectively. We have run into problems reaching max extents(maxextents are directly are related to blocksize), This can be a problem concerning the auto extension of rollback segments. Also the number of fields within group functions in a sql statement is limited when using smaller blocksizes(such as 1 and 2k). Oracle's V6 and V7 documentation suggests experimenting with different block sizes to determine the most efficient configuration. Has anyone tried using 4k or larger blocksizes. I am looking for info about SCO in particular, however if anyone has information from the other platforms i had mentioned, i would also like to see that info as well.
In particular, what were the problems you were having that necessitated the change to a different blocksize. What results, in terms of performance did you see or not see. I am very interested in hearing what others have tried before i endeavor these kinds of changes, since i have to rebuild my database to make changes in the blocksize.

Thank you for your time. Please respond directly via e-mail. I will post a summary of relevant responses.

Damian Yenzi uunet!melpar!yenzi
Dba
E-Systems Received on Mon Mar 22 1993 - 15:52:11 CET

Original text of this message