unexpected core dumps using SQL*FORMS, SunOS 4.1.3

From: <dly_at_vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Date: 8 MAR 93 09:18:20

I am using ORACLE 7.0.12, SunOS 4.1.3 (Unix), SQL*FORMS 3.0.16.12.3, PL/SQL 01.00.36.02.02, SQL*MENU 05.00.11.13.03. We have just recently installed ORACLE, and I am in the process of creating an application which will eventually have about 70 forms. I have been using SQL*FORMS and SQL*MENU and making a lot of changes as I create and modify forms. In the three days that I have been using SQL*MENU and SQL*FORMS, I have gotten 6 core dumps. At first, I thought it must be me and the illegal statements I wrote in PL/SQL, but after the fourth core dump, I realized that after I got back into SQL*FORMS, the form could be generated, and executed properly. So, there wasn't anything inherent in the form I created that was causing the problem. The core dumps don't happen at regular time intervals, the ones that I can recall happenned 1) after I saved the form, then tried to generate, it core dumped 2) after I generated the form, then tried to execute, it core dumped 3) after using image painter then pressing ACCEPT, it core dumped. By the way, I'm the only one on the system, so system resources should not be an issue.

I have lodged a call to ORACLE technical support, but no response back yet. Being a new developer, I don't know what system or ORACLE parameters I may need to tune. Does anyone have any suggestions?

In the meantime, I am periodically QUITing SQL*FORMS on a regular basis, then going back into SQL*FORMS. I don't know yet if this indeed will cut down or eliminate the core dumps. Also, I SAVE the form frequently.

  • Debbie Yoshihara Department of Biostatistics