Re: PL/SQL run from SQL*Plus

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_oracle.COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1993 04:49:58 GMT

mcgrathm_at_vax1.tcd.ie writes:
|> Hi Folks,
|>
|> I wish to run a PL/SQL script from SQL*PLUS. However
|> I am getting error messages such as:-
|>

|> Unknown command beginning "Cursor .." rest of line ignored

I believe you need to be on SQL*Plus 3.0 or higher to run PL/SQL. SQL*Plus needs to do some syntax checking on it's side to distinguish SQL statements from the SQL*Plus specific formatting commands. The SQL*Plus that came with V5 of Oracle will probably reject PL/SQL blocks (I haven't tested it though).

Second thing to check is to see whether the PL/SQL banner is displayed after the RDBMS banner at connection time. If not PL/SQL has not been linked with the RDBMS kernel.

Also I'm not a PL/SQL expert, but it looks like the syntax of your example came from a SQL*Forms 3.0 application. Some alterations may be needed to get it to work in SQL*Plus.

Roderick Manalac
Oracle Corporation
[DISCLAIMER: I had nothing better to do on this Friday night but 'rn'] Received on Sat Mar 06 1993 - 05:49:58 CET

Original text of this message