24 Access to Data

From: Harry Skelton <zorba_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1993 17:02:27 GMT

I'm certain this has been talked about before...however being 'new' to the group, I have not kept up on such issues.....forgive me if I cover old ground...

We have a situation were we only have one database server. Our operations run 24Hours a day. Our need for this system is of the highest priority. Should we receive a support call, we need access to the information without hesitation.

Problem is we are looking into other possible solutions for fault tollerance. The issues that force us to look at a secondary "backup" machine, usually are DB Software upgrades or OS upgrades (not to mention hardware failures....when they occur). Even when we need 15 mins to make a minor change in the system, it's 15mins too long for those who use the system. (Ain't this typical!) :)

I would like to find out if others have had to address this situation.

What did you do to address this type of issue? Did you install a backup machine?
How did you keep the data in sync? (We use Oracle)

We have thought about going with a smaller box to permit a few key critical users to run on durring the downtime of the larger system. (Currently on Sequent...thinking about using a Sun as the second box). Problem being trying to keep the data in sync and re-syncing the data once the other box does come back online.

If anyone has some insite, ideas, solutions, post here or e-mail me.

Many Thanks!

--
Harry Skelton
United Systems Security Enterprise - USS Enterprise