Help with database design

From: Oscar Adinolfi <oa_at_YP.melb.bull.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1993 10:59:03 GMT

I am designing a scheduling application using an Oracle database. The data can be divided into two major groups: Reference data and the schedule data itself. I have a requirement to keep from 20 to 40 schedules in the database. These schedules can share most of the reference data but have their unique scheduling data. Some schedules will need modified reference data to perform what-if analysis.
I want to have one physical data base which holds multiple logical databases (schedules). All schedules must be accessible to all users, the database would reside on a file server and possibly be distributed. Each schedule would have its own set of schedule tables and would initialy share the reference data tables. When a reference data table is modified by a particular schedule I would make a private copy of that reference table for that schedule. The idea is to keep a dictionary of schedules and of which tables are used by a particular schedule:

table attributes

SCHEDULE SCHEDULE_NAME
SCHEDULE_TABLES			SCHEDULE_NAME
				TABLE_NAME
				REAL_TABLE_NAME

So, given a specific schedule and table name I can find the real table name and access the data.

I would appreciate any comments on this approach and any better solutions to the problem.
Thanks,

Oscar Adinolfi            --- Internet: oa_at_melb.bull.oz.au
Bull Information Systems  --- ACSnet:   oa_at_melb.bull.oz
677 Victoria Street       --- UUCP: ...[!uunet!]melb.bull.oz.au!oa
Abbotsford AUSTRALIA 3067 --- Phone: +61 3 868 9533     FAX: +61 3 246 4445