Re: Sqlforms 3 , oracle error ORA-01001 - invalid cursor

From: craig sivils <casivils_at_lescsse.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: 20 Jan 93 18:00:37 GMT

In <colin.727457395_at_tdsb-s> colin_at_mais.hydro.qc.ca (Colin Berrouard) writes:

> Working environment:

> SUN: SUN OS v4.1
> Oracle: v6.0.33.1.1
> PL/SQL: v1.0.32.3.1
> SQL*FORMS(runform) v3.0.16.7.1

> I have a peculiar error when I execute a certain FORM that CALLs
> another one. the error is 'ORA-1001 Invalid Cursor'. This error
> appears either in the first form or in the CALLed form. It is
> very erratic in nature, but eventually, I always get the error.
> All the SELECTs were converted into CURSORs, but that didn't change
> anything. Sometimes, I get the error 'ORA-1475 must reparse cursor
> to change bind variable datatype' instead of 'ORA-1001'. Would it
> have something to do with memory allocation and/or management ??
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

     We have experianced similar problems running the same type of stuff (apollo unix workstation). Usually the problem was due to one of three problems (all oracle bugs in my opinion).

  1. Ocasionally SQL*Forms would compile a procedure/trigger with an undeclared variable. The variable was usually declared in a different procedure/trigger so erratic behavior was caused by which trigger/procedure fired first.
  2. SQL*Forms had some problems when local variables had the same name as a form field or a database table field. We now place prefixes in front of any local variable with a name similar to any database or form field.
  3. (The really wierd one). Our main menu is a sql*form. While testing/developing/debugging the system, sql*forms would get confused if form1 called form2, returned to form1 and then called a new version of form2 (the developer fixed a problem and generated). I guess the cursor select statements were close enough that sql*forms thought they were the same, but different enough that they crashed.
				Craig
            form field.