Re: Shutting down sqlnet

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_cmutual.com.au>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1993 21:51:37 GMT

In article <1993Jan7.175023.13291_at_nsisrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, you write:
> First of all, an apology for my question about shutting down oracle - I did
> not
> RTFM closely enough and missed the shutdown immediate command which I
> suspect
> is all I need. Thanks to all who responded.
>
> But I have a similar problem with orasrv and the manual does not indicate
> any type of shutdown immediate command. I'm running on an SGI (IRIX 4) and
> when doing a tcpctl stop commmand I get back:
> tcputl: 1 subprocesses are active; server will not be stopped
>
> This is listed in the sqlnet user's guide where it says that the action is
> to ask remote users to log off Oracle. The problem is that we are doing the
> shutdown in the middle of the night in a batch mode and it is likely that
> the
> user just forgot to log off before going home. Any work-arounds?

You can find out if there are any SQL*Net processes/connection by typing 'tcpctl
stat' and there will be a line saying how many connections there are 'Active subprocesses'.

You can also use the UNIX 'ps' command to count the number of connections. For
 ATT UNIX, type 'ps -ef | grep T:' and for Berkeley UNIX 'ps -ax|grep T:'. This
also give the same info except that it gives you the process ID as well. You may then use the kill command to terminate the connection.

To actually find out which machine is connected to the databases is a bit more difficult. You will neet to use the 'netstat' command.

> If this
> is being done as part of a reboot procedure, will it hurt to ignore this
> message and just reboot the system?

No.

--
 _____       ________ / ____ |Tony Jambu, Database Administrator
  /_  __       /_ __ /       |Colonial Mutual Invest Mgmt Aust (ACN 004021809)