Re: Windows and Oracle access.

From: John. <jpe1_at_PL122f.eecs.lehigh.edu>
Date: 8 Jan 93 16:04:06 GMT

In article <5858_at_npg-sd.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM> claborne_at_npg-sd.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM (Chris Claborne) writes:

   In <dtb.726316321_at_otto> dtb_at_otto (David Bath) writes:

   >jessea_at_u013.me.vp.com (Jesse W. Asher) writes:

>>I remember a recent thread on accessing Oracle from MS Windows, but I
>>didn't pay any attention to it at the time. Can someone bring me up to
>>date on the thread? Is there a way to access Oracle from MS Windows?
>>Is there some sort of orasrv (SQL*NET) available for Windows?? Thanks.

   In order to do any client server with oracle you need SQL*NET running on    both machines. In your case you would get SQL*NET for your PC and then    purchase one of the following:

      Oracle's Oracle Card, Gupta, Power Builder , or one of the many others.

I just started using Oracle's Oracle Card, and it works well, though there are limitations.
With the DDE manager I have been able to import directly into Quattro, Word, and WordPerfect (for Windows). Anyone have any thoughts on the other products listed above?

John.

John Early                             |
  software support administrator       |
JPE1_at_PL122.eecs.lehigh.edu             |  I was just a child then;
JPE1_at_ns1.cc.lehigh.edu                 |  now I'm only a man.  [pf]
jearly_at_lehi3b15.eecs.lehigh.edu        |
jpe1_at_admin1.cc.lehigh.edu              |