Re: shutdown on SGI

From: Andy Finkenstadt <andy_at_homebase.vistachrome.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1993 04:36:08 GMT

joefw_at_eosdev1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Joe Fulson-Woytek) writes:
>Has anyone else seen and/or have suggestions for avoiding the following
>problem?: We are running Oracle on an SGI under IRIX 4.0. When we try to
>shutdown oracle while a process is running sqlplus, the shutdown
>procedure halts. We would prefer the shutdown to continue without caring
>if someone is currently connected. Any suggestions?
>Thanks.
>Joe Fulson-Woytek
>Code 902/Goddard DAAC
>NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
>joefw_at_eosdev1.gsfc.nasa.gov

The sqldba command option 'immediate' will shut down the oracle database cleanly immediately. There is also the 'abort' option, but I recommend it NOT be used except when the actual database is stuck open perhaps because SMON or PMON has died back when Oracle 6 wasn't so stable.

SQLDBA> shutdown immediate
Database unmounted.
Oracle instance shutdown.
SQLDBA> exit

A shutdown abort doesn't unmount the database, forcing instance recovery the next time the database is started up.

-Andy

--
Andrew Finkenstadt, Vista-Chrome, Inc., Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
GEnie Unix RoundTable Manager, andy_at_vistachrome.com, andy_at_genie.geis.com.

"[The author] neither accidentally nor intentionally omits or includes
anything that could support a preconceived thesis." - C&EN 21-DEC-92 p.72