Re: Monday Morning Blues?

From: Tom Donnelly <tdonnell_at_ncrsoph.Sophia.NCR.COM>
Date: 29 Dec 92 10:34:47 GMT

In article <1992Dec28.181625.9736_at_netcom.com> sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:
>We reboot our UNIX Oracle Server every weekend. Every monday morning, all
>of our Oracle users complain about unusually slow performance. Anyone have
>any clues why? After a few hours it usually speeds up again, but the first
>few hours of monday are slower than molasses(sp).

  I've seen this happen a few times, and in some other instances as well. I   think it may actually have something to do with disk / memory caching and the   buffer caching of Oracle and Unix. Until a system reaches a certain load, it   seems to be a little sluggish. After it gets ( I think ) its cache and buffer   populated, it appears to gain in performance.

  I have seen this happen on large systems where only 1 - 3 users log in. After   more users log on, the system performance actually increases.

Just my $.02

>--
>Steve Schow | But you don't have to use the claw, if you
>sjs_at_netcom.com | pick the pear with the big paw paw......
>(415) 354-4908 | Have I given you a clue......?
> | - Baloo the Bear

These views are my own and do not represent those of my company. No gaurantee, implied or other, unless specified by law. Details on back.
Tom Donnelly               | WIN: Tom.Donnelly_at_Sophia
NCR Europe Group ISS       | UUCP: ..ncrcom!ncrsoph!tdonnell
Sophia Antipolis, Valbonne |
France			   | TEL: 33-92 94 45 40