Re: 500'000 records - who does best?

From: Daniel Druker <ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu>
Date: 23 Dec 92 21:21:54 GMT

In article <1992Dec21.182948.16832_at_bernina.ethz.ch> Florian.Gutzwiller_at_open.ch writes:
>If you'd have to realize a server client based database with Suns as servers
>and NeXT as clients. Single records would be an average of 30KB in size and
>there would be a number of 20 concurrent users.
>
>Would you choose Sybase or Oracle ?
>Who has experience with similar solutions/environments ?

I'd choose Oracle, hands down, based on backup and recovery issues. 500k recs of 30kb each means you have a pretty large database. Figure in additional space for indexes and sorting space and you might be talking 30 Gigabytes or more. Sybase will have serious problems backing up a database of this size. It will probably take DAYS to perform a backup, load, or restore. Oracle treats large databases much better, and includes lots of parallel stuff which really helps on multi-processors. I expect query speeds will be similar since you're really only gated by how fast the disk spins, and with a database of this size you probably wont want to allow many (or ANY) full table scans, ad hoc stuff, etc..., especially on a sun with a limited number of procs...

Oracle has a very large database group which they can put you in touch with to get some practical experience of users with I think up to 100 or so gigs of data.

Hope this helps,

  • Dan

Daniel Druker
Anderson Graduate School of Management at UCLA

| Dan Druker                                                               |
| agsm mail 	: ddruker                                                  |
| internet 	: ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu                                    |
| oracle*mail	: unix:ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu                               |

Disclaimer: None. I'm a student now and I don't care what you think. Received on Wed Dec 23 1992 - 22:21:54 CET

Original text of this message