Re: SQL*Loader REALLY unique sequences

From: gregory schueman <schueman_at_anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu>
Date: 11 Dec 92 18:57:55 GMT

>> I am developing a system which needs to append ASCII data into a table
>> and generate a unique identifier for each new row. SQL*Loader has a
>> SEQUENCE function which will generate unique sequence number, but the
>> numbers will only be unique for a given SQL*Loader session, not for
>> the destination table.
>>
>> Can anybody offer a way to get SQL*Loader to give me a sequence number
>> which is unique for the entire table?

What you want to do is use a SEQUENCE NUMBER generator. Such a beast is not session specific.
syntax:

   create sequence number my_table_seq_num

      start at 1 , increment by 1;
Then on the insert specification for SQL*LOADER you can specify the appropriate info. Something like

my_table_seq_num.nextval <---- for the field value that you need.

-Greg Received on Fri Dec 11 1992 - 19:57:55 CET

Original text of this message