sqlforms30 questions

From: Paul M. Mickel <mickel_at_OES.ORST.EDU>
Date: 21 Nov 92 04:01:09 GMT

Hello All,

First of, I'd like to thank all the people that responded to the question I had concerning SQR. The answer that was most useful to us came from richards_at_sequent, who suggested that we place the resulting time field into another variable to extract the time for the report. After talking to the vendor, it seems that this is the only do this.

Second, I have another question I'd like to pose to the group. We are attempting  to write some generic reports that will process input data depending on which field is queried. We are using SQR to do this, which is fairly simple if the report can determine what type of data is being passed in.

However, our problem arises between integrating the two parts. Ideally, we'd like to pass whatever is in the field during the "ENTER-QUERY" mode in sqlforms30. However, it seems that it won't allow us to touch this field after this mode has been entered. Another approach we have attempted is to base the query off any field, and dump the resulting key fields to a text file, which is then read in by SQR. However, our problem with this is that the "on-validate" triggers seem to fire for only those records displayed, even though a user query may return more records than can be displayed in the block (we are dealing with a multi-record block). While it is possible to navigate using KEY-DOWN, and add it to the text file, we can't be guaranteed the reliability of this method. I personally tried a test using the
"POST-QUERY" trigger to do this, but the results are the same as using
"ON-VALIDATE-FIELD" trigger.

An example would be that I retrieve 11 records in a query, but only the first 10 are displayed. The text file then contains the entries for the first 10 records retrieved, until I navigate to the 11th record by hand (pressing KEY-DOWN, for instance). After navigation, there are 11 output in the text file, which is sent to SQR. Our goal here is to have it so that *all* 11 get inserted into this text file, not just the ones currently  displayed, without having to press KEY-DOWN.

So, the questions are:

0. Is this a correct understanding of how validation is done for a block??
1. Are there suggestions to get around this kind of problem??
2. Is changing the validation unit good enough to solve this problem??

We have looked thru our documentation, with little success. This would not be much of a problem, except that, being a production database, this is a very common occurance.

As usual, I will summarize to the grp (please forgive the lapse time, as I stay extremely busy). Thanks in advance.

-pmm

--
Paul M. Mickel			  	   Internet:mickel_at_oes.orst.edu
Sysadmin, Oregon Extension Service	   Corvallis, OR 97331