ORACLE vs. R:BASE

From: Huang Chichou <dsp92+_at_pitt.edu>
Date: 20 Nov 92 22:33:20 GMT

Hi Netters,

I am new in this group. And I have been working on persuding my boss to use Oracle instead of R:Base for our new medical studies. R:Base has been using for one study for some time. The study has enjoyed it because it is much inexpensive and it runs on DOS (no fear for DBAs and users learning OS like Unix). My concerns are 1> the capacity that Oracle provides so that for the studies to come, we will have the capability to accommidate all of them (or most of them); 2> The security levels Oracle provides; 3>The multi-platform OS that Oracle supports; 4>The documentation ability; 5> The ease of expansion.

At this point, I need input on Oracle vs. R:Base. I have a little experience about ORACLE in installation and configuration but not extensive.

Please send me Email at ydfst_at_vulture.lis.pitt.edu or post your response on this news group.

All opinions are welcome.

p.s. I will be the DBA for the new Database.

Thanks in advance.

-Jessica Hsieh Received on Fri Nov 20 1992 - 23:33:20 CET

Original text of this message