Order of fields in a table

From: <kratom_at_hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 4 Nov 92 23:31:33 +1100

           Efficient method for the order of fields in a table :

           I am trying to determine an efficient method for storing
           fields in a table. The ordering of fields can improve the
           performance of a query, especially when massive reads are
           done.

           Does anyone have any knowledge on how Oracle expands a
           record ?

           The worst case scenario is that for every record retrieved,
           Oracle will expand the entire record and determine the
           value of every column.

           The best case scenario is that Oracle will only expand the
           record until it has retrieved the columns that it needs. If
           it is accessing the table through an index then it will not
           extract from the table the indexed column.

           I am aware that fields which are not null should be
           separated from null fields, to improve the efficiency of
           the compression algorithm and that the most frequently used
           fields should be at the beginning of the table. Also that
           if a LONG field is used, it should be the last column in
           the table.

           I will summarise all responses sent to me.

           Marcel K.
           Database Administration.

         Equal Opportunity Internet User - This screen has been set to
         support anyone who still uses a Tandy Model III.
                 [ KRATOM_at_HHCS.GOV.AU ] + the usual disclaimer.