oodb <-> rdb

From: Dulan Weerasinha <Dulan.Weerasinha_at_brunel.ac.uk>
Date: 27 Oct 92 19:18:03 GMT

Hi Folks,

I am in the process of looking into the possibility of translating Object-Oriented concepts to Relational concepts.

I would be grateful if somebody could provide me with pointers on the following:

Given an object, what needs to be considered/done for an object to be translated to a relation (or a set of relations). Similarly, given a relation (or a set of relations), what do you need to consider when re-creating the corresponding object.

What issues need to be considered during the translation process?

How, if at all possible, is object behaviour captured in the rel. model?

What rules do you have to follow or what heuristics do you have to apply?

Please send your replies to cssrddw_at_brunel.ac.uk

Thanks,

Dulan Weerasinha

PS: BTW, has anybody thought about clusterring. In PC World, those guys use

    a NORTON utility stuff to keep files in a contiguous space, ie, they     compact the disk space for efficiency. Has any such work been done for     DBs (particularly for ODBs where access patterns could be complicated).      Received on Tue Oct 27 1992 - 20:18:03 CET

Original text of this message