Re: Recovering ORACLE db after system crash

From: Hari Seldon ... psychohistorian <bill_at_chaos.cs.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1992 17:37:10 GMT

In <68wNsB1w165w_at_netlink.cts.com> tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com (Joel Garry) writes:

>bill_at_chaos.cs.umn.edu ( Hari Seldon psychohistorian ) writes:
>>
>> >We are currently running ORACLE Version 6.0.31.0.1 on an RS/6000, running
>> >AIX Version 3.2. A power failure took out the machine the other day while

                   ^^^^^

>> >What should I have done?
>>
>> very simply you should be using a ups. it should have sw to do a shutdown
>> when the power goes away (for a specifiec period of time) and it should wait
>> a bit after power coes back prior to restarting the machine.
>> it's cheep, its simple, it's good insurance.

>Yes, ours only cost $20,000 plus a diesel generator, concrete block
>building and new transformers on the pole. Then it blew up when the
>electricians installed it and turned the lever that says "do not turn".

pity. but that had nothing to do with the rs/6000, oracle, or even (sigh) aix. for an rs/6000 you should be able to get a ups for <$3k that can provide for an orderly shutdown of the system. thats what i was pointing out. not that you could spend mondo bucks trying to keep the system *up*. that is already a given.

bill pociengel

ps all that for $20k? installed? thats really not a bad price. probably a bit much for the systems i run at my home office tho;-)

--
llbi locgeenpi " i'm a little confused right now"