Re: SQL*ReportWriter order by clause (PLEASE HELP)

From: Neil Greene <deepthought!neil_at_ms.uky.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1992 18:13:46 GMT

In article <1992Sep25.170736.2535_at_deepthought.uucp> Neil Greene <deepthought!neil_at_ms.uky.edu> writes:
> I have an oracle database with approximately 500,000+ records consisting
> of lname, fname, mname, ss, birthdate.
>
> I would like to sort these records in lname, fname order. However,
> sorting this many records in this fashion seems to take forever. Closer
> magnitude of non-existant.

> Is there some way I may better optimize the use of indexes?
>
> I have the following index, but things are still S_L_O_W:
>
> > create index I_MASTER$FLNAME on
> > MASTER(LNAME, FNAME)
> > TABLESPACE NASRIS_INDEX
> > PCTFREE 10
> > storage (initial 10M next 1M
> > maxextents 99
> > pctincrease 0);

I have examined a little further my current indexes for the database. The table master is index on each column (fname, mname, lname, ss, birthdate). When performing the following sql select things run fine:

> select lname, fname from master order by lname
[ output is quickly sorted ]

When performing the following sql select, things run into trouble:

> select lname, fname from master order by fname
[ output takes forever - literally never ]

I have looked at the following tables for additional information ALL_INDEXES and ALL_IND_COLUMNS and everything looks correct for the index by fname.

Should I recreate the index? Received on Fri Sep 25 1992 - 20:13:46 CEST

Original text of this message