Re: SQL*Net performance - why this way?

From: <jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi>
Date: 10 Sep 92 07:02:30 GMT

In article <KMALLORY.92Sep9114249_at_hqsun4.oracle.com>, kmallory_at_oracle.com (Kevin Mallory) writes:
> What "EXACT" Version of forms were you using for your tests?
We used SQL*Forms 3.0.16.5.1 on the PCs. SQL*Net/APPC was 1.1.0.3

> There are performance enhancements in forms 3.0.16.10 (or greater)
> that will improve the performance of client server forms applications.

What enhancements are those? UPIALL or something extra? Does it require a particular version of the RDBMS?

Anyway, what is that famous UPIALL? I know that it decreases amount of messages by combining many small messages into bigger ones, but could you specify it more specifically?

The original question was, WHY NetBIOS & SPX/IPX are faster than TCP/IP and why TCP/IP is faster than APPC when using PC clients? And are there any tunable, significant parameters I should tinker with in order to obtain better performance? If SQL*Forms gets better and SQL*Net remains unchanged, I guess the relative order of the various protocols remains the same.

--
Juhani Jaakola
jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi