Re: Objects and Oracle?

From: Kermit Tensmeyer <tensmekl_at_infonode.ingr.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1992 22:20:11 GMT

In article <1992Aug28.214443.24903_at_IRO.UMontreal.CA> jalbert_at_IRO.UMontreal.CA (Francois Jalbert) writes:
>Greetings all!
>
>Our company develops software to run under Windows using the toolbook package
>in the early development phases. We do everything using objects and fairly
>complex inheritance schemes. Our current task is to develop some software to
>act as a front end to some relational database system. We are currently trying
>to figure out if Oracle might do the job for us. We phoned the local Oracle
>outfit but their answers were very vague, to say the least. I hope that by
>asking to net, somebody out there will know more than our local Oracle folks.
>
>Primarily, the database manager we seek should
>
> - be a true RDBMS
> - manage table creation and updates using SQL commands
> - run under Windows 3.1 on top of DOS 5.0
> - be callable from C (or C++) according to the DB2 standard of embedded SQL
> - support referential integrity, transaction security (commit rollback),
> multiusers, networks, to name the few I can think of at the moment.

 Now I know what I _mean_ when I say a true RDBMS manager, but what do  you mean when you use the term? If you are asking if any commerical  product meet more than 75% of the criteria that Codd used to define  an RDBMS, then the answer is NO. There are no commercial True RDBMS's  available.

 Is it possible to support multiuser client/serever on anything other  than a dedicate machine under dos. I don't think so.

 There may well be a single user version of Oracle and or Informix  that will run on Windows 3.1 or even NT.

 The problem is not Intel, but the operating system. If you would upgrade  your requirements to use a modern system you cound network several  user interface systems around a central server and then use either  Informix SE or Oracle. Unless your application has only a trival  use for databases, stay the hell away from Informix standard engine.

--
         Kermit Tensmeyer                         | Intergraph Corporation
Life is sometimes a bowl of Cherries; Watch out for the pits;