Re: Version 7, Roles

From: Ian A. MacGregor <ian_at_tethys.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 6 Aug 92 17:23:33 GMT

In article <5AUG199207590278_at_watson.bms.com>, sinha_at_watson.bms.com (Anil Sinha) writes:
|> Hi Database Gurus,
|>
|> Version 7 documentation mentions that roles can be used to allow
|> applications to set end-users privileges dynamically.
|>
|> So when a role is granted to a user then the same user has access to
|> all privileges granted to that given role.
|>
|> Is it posssible to grant privileges to the users using roles (or any
|> other way) just for the duration of the session ?
|>
|> Thanks in advance.
|>
|> Anil Sinha

I'm not sure if this addresses your question. You can create a procedure in the domain of the owner of the data. You can then grant execute privileges on the procedure to a role. The role would only have access to the data while running the procedure. This does not satisfy your request for granting access for only one session, but again it does prevent access to the data by methods other than the procedure.

                            Ian MacGregor
                            Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
                            IAN_at_SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
                            (415) 926-3528