Re: Can one user create table in another's tablespace?

From: Lazlo Hoover Toth <kml_at_cellar.org>
Date: 3 Aug 92 16:31:14 GMT

bill_at_chaos.cs.umn.edu (Hari Seldon) writes:

> In <dcox-310792114054_at_dcoxmac.nswc.navy.mil> dcox_at_relay.nswc.navy.mil (David
>
> >Don't ask me how I got into this situation, but I need to allow
> >another user to create a table (as part of a weekly procedure)
> >in my username. That is, my oracle username/login is, say, david,
> >and their's is bob. I need to be able to allow bob to do:

> >sqlplus bob/hispassword
> >>drop table david.acctdata
> >>create table david.acctdata (etc...)
> >>grant select,insert on david.acctdata to bob
> >>grant select on david.acctdata to frank
> >>quit

The only way to drop a table in another user's account is to have DBA priv granted to you. This does not, however, allow you to create an object in another users's acct in V6.

I'm guessing that the david.acctdata is a denormalized table. I don't see any other reason to create it this way. To carry on as you've proposed, you're going to have to embed a series of connect statements in your file to bounce around between the accounts.

> >Actually, at some point in the weekly procedure I would like to
> >restrict bob to select privilidges on david.acctdata, but this is
> >not crucial.
> well give bob access to your table via a synonym to a view, then when he's
> not supposed to change anything have the synonym for the view change to point
> to a view that he only has select rights to.
>
> >Is there some way I can achieve this without bob having DBA priviledges?
> bill_at_chaos.cs.umn.edu

Not as written.

The view/synonym way will work when you redesign.

                Proud member of the cultural elite.
  kml%cellar_at_tredysvr.tredydev.unisys.com - My other account is a Mercedes. Received on Mon Aug 03 1992 - 18:31:14 CEST

Original text of this message