Re: SQLFORMS and ANSI SQL

From: <kmallory_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1992 01:19:03 GMT

In article <brett.711857119_at_citr.uq.oz.au>, brett_at_citr.uq.oz.au (Brett Jordan) writes:
> Haven't been reading this group, so forgive me if I am walking
> on old ground.
>
> Is there a version of SQLFORMS that doesn't send ORACLE specific
> SQL to the database? We would like to use SQLFORMS against a
> non-ORACLE database via SQL*Connect and it is sending SQL that
> uses ORACLE specific pseudo-columns like "ROWID" and "ROWNUM"
> that are not ANSI standard.
>
> We heard rumours a while ago that there was a version, but now
> we are serious about tracking it down.
>
> Brett Jordan,
> CiTR
> University of Queensland,
> Australia.

While this is mostly possible to do today with user exits, there are a few sticky wickets that make it more difficult. (Lack of trigger points like on-fetch, on-select ...)

Forms 4.0 will contain the support you need for Non-Oracle Data Sources.

"QUALITY is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention,  sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents  the wise choice of many alternatives."
Kevin Mallory                                           SQL*Forms Development
                                                        Oracle Corporation