Size of Workgroups

From: Jeffrey Horn <horn_at_schaefer.math.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 92 14:41:37 GMT

Suppose you were given the task of managing a software project. The project is to write an inventory system. Inventory of what is irrelevant. There are inventory numbers already in existance and you are to write a system which keeps track of some attributes associated with each inventory number, where the stock for that number is stored, and how much of it is on hand. The inventory is at a central location and not widely distributed.

Assume that you have some powerful database system (ingres, oracle, sybase, informix, etc.) and developement tools ( 4gls, compilers, debuggers, desktop publishing, etc.). Assume also that you have 1 month to do the project. You know nothing more, you will have to do interviews to get more information on exactly what is needed. The project is to have complete on-line and printed documentation. At the outset, how many analysts, programmers, technical writers, managers, etc. would you put in charge of a project like this. How would you break the work down and how much time for each person would you allocate to each chunk.

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I am currently in the process of convincing upper management that our computing group is understaffed, and I would like data from outside my company about what quality software groups, whether in software companies or other businesses, actually use to do quality work.

Any responses along these lines will be helpful!

Thanks,

Jeffrey Horn Received on Wed Jul 08 1992 - 16:41:37 CEST

Original text of this message