Re: KEY-ENTRY vs KEy-EXECUTE TRIGGER

From: Schillinger <rz34_at_hp850.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1992 10:03:46 GMT

In article <5741.2a584e09_at_hayes.com> mkrieger_at_hayes.com writes:
>In article <1992Jul2.101548.16859_at_nntp.hut.fi>, k33271c_at_taltta.hut.fi (Vesa Jaakko V{h{maa) writes:
>> Hello SQL Forms (V3.0) Users!
>>
>> I'm having a bit of difficulty in figuring out the difference between
>> KEY-ENTRY and KEY-EXECUTE triggers. It seems that when the user presses
>> "Enter Query", then enters the criteria and finally presses "Execute Query",
>> the KEY-EXECUTE-QUERY trigger does not fire. Why is that? Should the
>> actions to be taken for query retrieval be placed under both of these
>> triggers? Any clarifications are much appreciated.
>>

>> Thanks
>
>When the [EXECUTE QUERY] key is used in conjunction with the [ENTER QUERY]
>key, its associated trigger is not supposed to fire. The only time this trigger
>will fire is when a "blind" query is run (i.e. the [EXECUTE QUERY] key is
>pressed without [ENTER QUERY]). Why?? I don't have any idea.

It could be due to query processing restrictions, see p. 3-29 in SQL*Forms Designer's Reference, Version 3.0. When Forms is in query mode, it won't fire any triggers.

>What I do if I have actions to take is create a user-defined trigger and call
>it from both of the above triggers. I think in V3 you can create a procedure,
>but I'm not very familiar with the nuances of V3 yet.
>
>MLK
I go into the query_details procedure (one of the procedures Forms writes automatically) and add things to be done before executing before the line execute_query; For instance: .

			      .
			      .
			      count_query;
			      execute_query;
                             end;

I don't know if that method would work for what you what to do, but I'd be interested to hear if it did.

Karen Received on Tue Jul 07 1992 - 12:03:46 CEST

Original text of this message