Re: Working with Oracle*Terminal

From: Robert Poortinga <poorting_at_silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: 1 Jul 92 21:28:07 GMT

deepthought!neil_at_ms.uky.edu (Neil Greene) writes:

>I have several users accessing Oracle through ibm compatible computers. Some
>users' cursor key movements work, some don't. I cannot determine what is
>causing some keyboards not to work correctly when using cursor keys.
>
>They are 101 key keyboards with the following settings (although, I cannot
>verify this):
>
>DOWN ARROW ^[OB or ^[[B. Oracle*Terminal is using an \eOB for DOWN ARROW.

First, ^[ is an ESCAPE character which Oracle*Terminal lists as \e. So there is no problem there.

Sounds like your PC's are doing VT-100 emulation. On my PC's using NCSA Telnet, the arrow keys output two different strings depending on whether the PC emulation is in keypad mode or not.

Normally, Down Arrow produces \e[B. If in keypad mode, Down Arrow is \eOB. The escape string that puts a VT-100 into keypad mode is \e=. It sounds like your terminal emulations are handling VT-100 keypad mode differently. If you are using NCSA Telnet look in file 'telnet.key' for key bindings.

Hope this helps!

Bob Poortinga
(poorting_at_silver.ucs.indiana.edu) Received on Wed Jul 01 1992 - 23:28:07 CEST

Original text of this message